A car-marine



What on earth is that thing?

I'm glad you asked. That's the newest super cool prototype of a car-marine, the latest trend in personal transportation. Ah, I can see you've never seen anything like it. Let me walk you through the concept. It's very simple. You take a car and a submarine... wait, why are you picking up that hammer?

But seriously, I couldn't tell you what that was. We were asked to let our creativity roam free. As it turns out my creativity doesn't as much roam as it hobbles along. But that's fine. It was fun to make and that's what really matters, right? (No, not really. Could I please make great engaging concepts instead? Thank you!)

At least it didn't take too long to make. About three hours block out and sculpting plus another three vertex painting. You would think that the painting bit would be a lot faster (I know I'd think that) but no, I couldn't decide on what colours I wanted to use so I ended up taking forever. I thought I'd do one of those cool measured approaches to designing stuff. So first, I picked some colours and painted them roughly to get the overall idea. When I was happy with that, I applied the paint properly, and then I turned to smaller details, like edge wear. In my mind.

In reality I only went through with the first stage. In the middle of the second one, I changed my mind half a dozen times about what colour which part should be, so the car-marine started to have layers upon layers of old poorly-applied paint. Which might be realistic but it didn't put me any closer to finishing the concept to my liking. So I did what I always do in these situations. I panicked and I stuck to whatever I felt was not utterly terrible at the moment. So in the end I'm not really happy with it, but on the plus side I did finish it. Yay. There is also a clay version of it if you didn't get enough of the brilliance from the first picture:


The sad part of it is that it's almost better than the rendered version. Oh well. 

In other news, I have fully finished my Fiat 500 project and I'm quite happy with THAT. I had to UV unwrap every piece of the interior (which was fun) and I had to change my approach to grouping different pieces for texturing (which makes things more confusing than they'd have to be) but otherwise, all is great and I'm very proud of myself for finishing it. I also don't want to see another car for a couple years at least.

What's that? Oh, you want to see the final renders? Hmm, should I...? And why not.



And I've left the best bit for the end. I also managed to update the Sketchfab project, so you'll be pleased to hear that the Fiat is fully textured and freely downloadable. The not-so-ideal bit is that the Sketchfab version has all modifiers applied, so if you wanted to use it in your project you'd probably have to retopologize it first. But I believe in you.


I'm still undecided as to what to work on next. I know that I said that I'd turn my attention to animation (finally) but there are also some character concepts that I'm considering. I guess you'll have to tune in next week to find out what I decided to go for in the end. Bye!

Comments

Popular Posts