Sculpt January 2019: Day 28-31

And that's the end of it all. I've managed to create all 31 sculptures and I don't feel particularly tired. Maybe I've died and haven't realised yet?

Well, if I did I wish I could have ended with better pieces than those I'm about to show you. Alas, it was not meant to be. I didn't stop trying, quite the contrary. Maybe I picked concepts that were too ambitious, or I just didn't have enough time to polish them like I wanted. Either way, the last four renders are a bit on the rubbish side.

Day 28: Motion - Smooth


At first I thought I'd do an ice skater gliding gracefully on an ice rink. I'm glad I didn't, because I was struggling more than enough with this considerably smaller scene. I think I'm starting to develop a creative block concerning hands. Which is odd, because I used to be quite comfortable sculpting them. Maybe it's the poses. I used rigged fingers again, but once I blobbed everything together and started polishing, it fell apart. And I can't do thumbs. And nails. I probably don't go to low enough resolution, but still, they shouldn't look like a horrible finger disease.

Day 29: Beast - Harpy


I was both looking forward to this one and dreading it. I wanted to sculpt a harpy from Guild Wars 2, but a quick look at reference images told me that there was no way I could manage that in 3 hours. So I went for my own design. Without symmetry. I don't know what I had banged my head on that day, but it must have been a really good one. I was struggling and rushing and then struggling some more. As a result, her face looks like a cubist masterpiece. Hopefully not from this angle, but heavens forbid you wanted to rotate the scene. I also didn't have time to make proper wings, so she ended up looking more like a plucked chicken than a terrifying harpy.

Day 30: Mood - Pride


Probably the best of the four. And it was a fairly quick sculpt, too. (This is so unfair.) Now that I'm looking at it again, I might have exaggerated the puffed out chest even more, but hey, at least it's somewhat recognizable as pride. The feathers are atrocious again, but I tried, I swear. I was hoping to avoid sculpting one feather and duplicate it along the body, because that would've been a real pain. The one thing I like about this, though, is the background. I got a bit adventurous with the gradients and I stumbled upon a colour/shape combination that worked for me.

Day 31: Body - Extreme expression


I felt a bit under pressure to come up with something magnificent to end the series. So this is it. The magnificent me, pulling a face after finishing all 31 sculptures. (I wasn't referencing my own picture, though. I found a beautiful lady making this silly face and I wanted to capture it as faithfully as I could. Or couldn't.)

Anyway, no more crying over mediocre renders. There are new weeks to come, new renders to conquer. And I can finally tell you what I've cooked up in the dark parts of my brain. I'd like to keep the momentum of creating one thing every day, but I also like the idea of a proper scene. Plus, I'd like to make it more playful and bring back some of my storytelling. So I'll do an experiment. I'll use a random noun generator to pick 5 words. Then I'll create a complete piece for each word. On Saturday, I'll bring all of that together, and on Sunday I'll rest panic because I haven't properly finished any of the items and I'm running out of time.

Should be fun.

See you next week!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts