RNG 01.75: A vest and a pomegranate

Alright. This is still not it. I've decided to listen to my back and move around more, which had the unfortunate side effect of me having less time for Blender. Right now, the scene is about three quarters finished (hence the title) and I might have pushed it to completion, but I would've had to use just a picture of a crow. Which I didn't really feel like doing. And since I'm the one making the rules here, I think I can get away with bending them once in a while.


Out of the four remaining items, I managed to make a male vest and a really weird pomegranate (I swear it looked better in the Substance Painter). I have also finished modelling and UV unwrapping the laptop, but I haven't been able to texture it yet. And it will be one hell of a work, because I'll probably end up drawing all the keyboard markings by hand.

Making the vest was surprisingly challenging. I still haven't found a good workflow for clothes that could be used in cloth simulation. I think the garments need to have thickness, because the outer and inner design is usually different, but that means not only more complicated UV unwrapping, but also, as I found out this week, really weird behaviour of the physical simulation. I intended to let the vest fall over the chair (which is borrowed from the Chippendale project, by the way), but the horribleness created made me quickly change my mind. Five seconds more and I might have summoned a demon.

Because of this failure, the vest is just... floating there, and the more observant of you have surely noticed that you wouldn't be able to fold it over the chair like this. I tried to manually position things, but it's just no good. If anyone is reading this and knows how to make clothes better, I'd really appreciate some pointers.


The second object I tackled was the pomegrenate. Its shape is not exactly complex, but the top baffles me. Since I don't see myself using this in a close-up any time soon, I cheated a little and I only made the little flaps, without fussing too much about the inner flowery remains. I did try to create a nice, varied texture, but for some reason, Blender doesn't pick up on it and it just looks like a red shiny ball. Which it basically is, but still.


Next time, I should have the individual images of the laptop and the crow, and hopefully also the finished scene and the story. See you next time!

Comments

Popular Posts