Mario box

The Mario plant turned out to be quite popular, so there is another piece from the same scene: a box. How exciting! (Also, how surprisingly painful to make.)

Concept, of course, by Sephiroth Art: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qeLZz

The box is a combination of geometry and texture painting. (Obviously.) But can you guess which parts are modelled and which are painted? I'll give you a moment...

Still here? And curious to know the answer? Well then. The modelled parts are the main box shape and the face extrusions. All the rest is painted. Which is why it took so long. I was experimenting some more with placement of individual colour layers. Early on, I decided to paint the question marks by hand (thank you Line Stroke Method, you are a real life saver). To make things easier for myself, I unwrapped the affected faces so that they lay on top of each other. You can probably guess why - I only had to paint the question mark once and it automatically appeared on all three sides. But there was a downside as well.

I didn't quite realize that I had to shade each question mark differently. So in the end, the question mark texture only has the basic shape (along with the four small extrusions in the corners). The rest had to be done in vertex paint mode. Which could mean only one thing: a lot denser geometry. With the basic box shape still intact I created a duplicate which I subdivided, giving me effectively a low and high poly version of the model. When I'm assembling the full scene, I'll look a bit more into texture baking in 2.8. The idea is that all the colour information (from vertex paint and the question mark texture) will end up in a nice bundled single texture. And if I find a good solution, I'll probably do the same for all the objects in the scene, which will help me if I decide to upload it to Sketchfab, too.

Before I wrap up this post, here is a screenshot of the material setup:


And with that out of the way, I wish you a nice week and I'll see you next time.

Comments

Popular Posts