Mario plant

I'm back, baby! This week with another of Sephiroth's concepts (Anyone surprised? No, didn't think so.)


I did my usual 2.80 > 2.79 and back again tour, but this time I ended up rendering in Cycles, instead of Eevee. I didn't quite like the way the shadows were rendered, but I didn't want to spend too much time on re-watching videos on how to fix that. I still saved the render, though, so that you can compare the results for yourselves (there is a slight difference in the textures, but it's not too noticeable).


The modelling part was fairly straightforward, but would have gone even better if I remembered to use sculpting sooner. Not the dyntopo kind, mind you - the regular sculpting mode. It does wonders for curvy leaves and voluptuous mouths. I struggled a bit with the tooth, because it didn't work very well in 3D (the way it is drawn), but I managed to tame it in the end. The stalk and mouth both use a simple curve, and the leaves are planes. Nothing fancy. The real fun began when I started texturing.

I decided to try a new workflow, one of my own making. I made 2 texture sets: one for the pot, and one for the plant. Then I keyed in the main colours using the vertex colours mode. I did this so that each object (of the plant) could have its separate colour (each object gets a separate vertex colours container). I quickly found out that all the individual vertex colours have to be named the same for this to work. In my case, I stuck with the default "Col". And then I added one texture for the darker parts of the plant, and one for the lighter ones. Both are coloured maps (and not black-and-white as before) because I wanted to have greater range of colour, without having to create hundreds of maps. The dark one (which is blended with Multiply operation) work better than the light one. The Dodge operation should work well here, but for some reason doesn't. The effect isn't as noticeable as I was hoping for.

Here is a screenshot of my workspace, in case you are interested:


And that will be all for this week. I think I'm going to work on other Mario-related stuff so that I'm eventually able to put together a full scene. See you next week!

Comments

Popular Posts